San Antonio, Texas
2.2K views 32 comments

Gabriel from Radio Shack lied to me about the coverage on my cell phone protection plan.The phone was damaged so I called the insurance company.

They told me my plan did not cover accidental damage only mechanical issues. I called the Radio Shack complaint line and told them what happened. I received a call from Fred (district manager) telling me he could not do anything about it since I could not prove that Gabriel had lied to me.

Now I will need to pay Sprint $100 to repair the screen.Watch out for Radio Shack extended/protection plans, they are a rip off!

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Radio Shack?

Comments

I WISH I WOULD HAVE SEEN THIS BEFORE I BOUGHT THE PLAN BECAUSE NOW I AM HAVING NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. I WOULD BE ASHAMED TO EVEN WORK FOR THIS COMPANY WITH THE LINE OF *** THEY HAVE TO GIVE TO PEOPLE.

such A RUN ARROUND AND IT WILL TAKE A MONTH TO GET YOUR PHONE BACK AFTER YOU PAY THE DEDUCTIBLE UP FRONT TO THEM NOT KNOWING IF YOU ARE EVEN GOING TO SEE YOUR PHONE AGAIN. RADIO SHACK AND THEIR THIRDPARTY INSURANCE COMPANY IS A SINKING SHIP!

I cancelled my insurance plan with Radio Shack after speaking to them for the first and only time.When I needed my phone fixed they wanted $100 from me that was suppose to be refundable and they wanted me to send my phone to them which I was never given a time limit.

Ya right!!! Why would I give money and my phone with nothing to reassure me that I would get either back. So ***.

Even a *** flip phone temporarily would have been good enough.Needless to say I will never get this phone insurance again.

fooled by RadioShack too long
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States #787942

RadioShack Phone "Insurance Policy" does not cover much at all.Even when you have an issue that it "covers" you end up having to pay almost as much as it would cost for a new phone and you often have to send in your phone and be several days with no form of communication.

Also, beware of the insurance charges if you cancel your phone.

They may tell you that they will cancel charges if you are paying monthly but it is YOUR responsibility to call or they will just keep charging and you will not be reimbursed when you finally figure out that they are still taking money from your account.

All in all, they are a poor store to work with and you NEVER get your money's worth.I would find someone else!

They did the same thing to me in Asheville, North Carolina. Total ripoff.

Disgruntled
Clarksville, Tennessee, United States #723251

They did the same thing to me.And I paid attention to the saleman and specifically asked about that kind of thing, and he told me I had coverage for lost/stolen but when I called to report my phone stolen they told me my plan did not cover that.

a few months before this I called about a defect in the phone and they said I had to send the phone in along with a 100 dollar deposit just for them to even look at it and no telling how long that would be or take. So I was supposed to be without a phone for who knows when, when I could have walked in an ATT store and had one of their techs look at it for me same day. They lie by omission all to make a commission and its wrong and they should be stopped. I will never shop in radio shack again.

Not to mention all the reps had attitudes like I was bothering them to do their job.Pathetic :sigh

Mark

I have a phone that they promised would be fixed in no more than 5 days, that was 3 weeks ago, they couldn't fix it, settled on a reimbursement, then it would take another 10 business days.They make promises they can not keep.

So far 7 phone calls to try and get something done, one call was nearly two hours long.

If you buy this warranty at so much a month, look to be without a phone for at least one full month and plan on making multiple phone calls if the phone was quit working for what ever reason.I would recommend Sprint's extended warranty, I have had no more than a two day wait there.

Never buy protection plan!

What exactly is the issue?My phone screen cracked but the phone is still functional.

As for the employee lying how else are they going to make a sale. Never believe employees, especially radio shack punks, read the literature.

Chalk this one up as a lesson learned.And NEVER buy the protection plan since you can replace the phone for less than the cost of the course of the protection plan.

open your dam ears

ITS ALL ABOUT LISTENING TO THE SALES PITCH.

Then understanding, and if you do not understand ask questions. That's what they, the rs sales associates are there for. It's easy.

THere are three options as a few have mentioned: Accidental and then there is normal wear/tear/ battery replacement.

Know what you are paying for. Be clear and consise with the sales people. They aren't lying.

I've bought many of things from RS, never an issue and always honored... even cell phones. And with that said, with cell phone purchases, the insurance is actually covered through assurant- there will be a deductable. That is so wehn you send phone back to be replaced with a new phone, this is covering packaging and insurance on the old phone for just in case moments like gettin lost via transportaion via mail carrier.

Therefore, open your *** ears and mouths people and learn the plan, then understand. NEVER leave stores until you do.

ANONYMOUS

Let me help clear all of this up -

The company doesn't scam anyone. They've been in business for 70+ years for a reason. It's not their fault you didn't read the information provided.

There are three options for protection at RadioShack.

1. With accidental damage protection.

2. Without accidental damage protection.

3. Gift card replacement for cheap/low-end phones.

When the sales associate offers the plans to you - you actually have to listen to the offer. You have to read the brochure, and you have to take the time to understand what it covers. If you turn the associate down for coverage because you're stubborn and don't want to give them enough time to explain the process - it may be your fault.

A third party company runs the insurance plan - just like you have a third party company for your car insurance. Same process.

Don't kill the messenger - RadioShack sells the plan - the third party company runs the business.

And just like insurance, there is a deductible.

ALSO -

If you choose the cheaper of the insurance plans - you get what you pay for. If you opted out of Accidental Damage - declined the case and screen protector they offered to keep your phone safe - and didnt listen to the warnings the associates gave you at the store - you set yourself up for trouble.

IF you have the accidental damage plan - the store can send the phone to be repaired. If it can't be repaired -...

Most customers (more than 90%) have no issues with the warranty. It's those who didnt pay attention that do. :cry

tired of the bs
Athens, Ohio, United States #640276

Radio Shacks brochure says "get peace of mind to protect your phone from day 1 and accidental damage protection from drops, cracks and spills".Dropped mine in lunch box and it got wet.

Called in and they first said it wasn't covered then they said it was but I needed to contact Samsung since I haven't had it for a year. Brochure seems to be false advertisement. Part about day one and all.

Same ole song and dance.Samsung said I could send it in but they don't know the cost or if it can be repaired.